Saturday, January 22

Welcome, Owen Isaiah!



We're praising God for the safe arrival of Owen Isaiah on January 14th at 6:56am. He weighed in at 6lbs 2oz and looks like his daddy. :) We're especially thankful that he made it to 36 1/2 wks - that allowed us to deliver here in town. With both our girls, my water has broken, and I've had to be induced. So with this little guy, I was expecting a very similar scenario. But of course, he's a boy, so why would things be normal??? :) On Thursday evening, I started to get contractions around 10:30. But after a few hours, they were still 10 minutes apart. And since I've never had to time contractions before, I was quite clueless about when to call my doctor. Finally around 2:00am, I called my doctor and said, "These things hurt even though they're far apart!" So she let me come in. I was only 2cm dilated, so she said if I didn't make significant progress by 5am, they'd send me home. I most certainly did NOT want to be sent home, so Nate and I walked around the floor (we were the ONLY patients!) and even did squats to get this thing moving along! (I'm sure we made quite a picture!!!!) Finally at 4:45 the nurse said that there wasn't progress with my contractions on the monitor - I begged to differ b/c they hurt really bad. So she checked me and said with huge eyes, "You're atleast an 8! Quick, let's get to the next room!" So off we went, me feeling quite justified that I wasn't delusional - I know the difference b/t a Braxton Hicks and REAL contractions. Of course it was too late for my best friend: the epidural, and I was quite disappointed. Yes, I gave birth with no meds, and no, I never want to do it again - "terrible" is the only word that comes to mind. Owen was born soon after the doctor showed up, and I was never so glad to be done with anything in my life.

Nate and I feel so incredibly blessed to be parents to this little boy. He has charmed all of us and is such a calm, sweet baby. He has jaundice, but other than that is very healthy. I feel better than I did after my other two, so I'm glad life can get back to our new "normal."

We praise God for the "good and perfect gift" he's given us in Owen!!




4 comments:

Ben and Carissa said...

yippie!! I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations! He is a sweetie! Good job, Kris with a med free labor and delivery!! "Terrible" is a great word for it...but rewarding!

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

Congrats!! I understand a little what you were thinking as my 2nd little girl born Jan. 5th was a total different delivery than my first little girl. Kind of threw me off!

jeileenbaylor said...

Welcome Owen! He is adorable and you are amazing (and hilarious too ;) - I love your comments about the epidural - my sentiments exactly!

JordanandSue said...

Oh, he is TOO TOO cute. I love my new little nephew and can't wait to meet him!!! AND, I'm cracking up at you squatting down the hospital hallways... :)