Saturday, April 26

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints."





It was a week ago last night that my sweet Grandma Helland went home to be with Jesus. It's been a full week of traveling to MN, meeting many distant relatives, and attending her funeral. Though there is sadness because we will miss her, I can't help but be so happy for her. She has struggled with health problems for as long as I can remember. In spite of them all, she never complained but always maintained the sweetest attitude. She always made us the best cinnamon rolls when we'd visit, even though her fingers were horribly bent with arthritis. She just adored Adrianna and any time she could spend with her. In fact, during the last few visits she actually got down on the floor to play with her, despite the fact that she couldn't get back up without much help. The thing I will remember most about Grandma is how much she loved me and cared about every small detail of my life. She cared about the unimportant parts of my day, like how many diapers I'd changed or how often I'd played the piano that week. It makes me so sad to think that Adrianna will not remember her. But I have plenty of stories to tell her someday. :) I love imagining her now - singing with the angels, enjoying her straight back and long beautiful fingers. And I can't wait to see her someday.

8 comments:

Kevin and Christy said...

Kris, that is so beautiful! What a testimony!

Michael, Nina, Emma, Elliot & Ethan said...

Kris,
I was sad to read the news on your blog- but it is great knowing she is finished with her physical suffering! I remember your grandparents- always so sweet. I'll be praying for you as you probably already feel emotionally supercharged with prego hormones... how are you feeling?!

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

What wonderful memories - and what a wonderful, Godly grandmother! I was very moved when your dad was talking yesterday about being able to be with your grandmother when she "reached the other shore" - what a sweet blessing! Praying for you and your family!

JordanandSue said...

Those are great pictures- thanks for posting them!! Love, Sue

Doesn't love a wall said...

I am sorry for your loss. You will be able to tell AJ all kinds of fun stories about her...

Becky Gravley said...

kris, that was a great post. i'm really sorry about losing your grandma. i feel the same way so often about losing my dad (even though he's not physically dead, just so different from the brain injury)...that samuel and kara will never remember him. it's hard to think of that when YOU have loved the person all of your life. love you guys! praying for you.

Ben and Carissa said...

I am so sad to hear this, but I rejoice with you also knowing she is happy to be with the Lord. That was such a beautiful post to read. I know you were very close to her and that your family will miss her greatly. I only met her a few times, and felt loved!! She indeed was a beautiful person!

Preston and Audrey's Mommy and Daddy said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma. My Grandma has cancer and I don't ever want her to leave us. Grandma's are so wonderful!